Finally, I’ve submitted my thesis
This will be short, as it’s after midnight, but under the circumstances I thought I’d better post a quick update.
I went to Newcastle to submit my thesis in person on Friday. (I did manage to move to Cambridge in February.) Everything went well, I had a good weekend there, and I’m glad that’s finally behind me.
Here’s what’s next:
- The Graduate School will keep one copy of the thesis and send the other two to the examiners who have been appointed. One of those (the “internal examiner”) is at Northumbria but has not been involved in helping or overseeing my progress. The other (the “external”) is at another UK university.
- In maybe 2-3 weeks, I’ll receive a notification of the possible dates for my viva voce exam — dates roughly 2-3 months from now that all the other parties have indicated they can make — and I’ll be asked to choose one. This exam should be similar to what in the US is called a “defense”.
- We’ll meet for a couple of hours. They’ll ask me questions. I’ll answer as best I can. I’ll leave the room. They’ll decide on the outcome. I’ll come back into the room. They’ll tell me the outcome.
- There are five possible outcomes:
- Pass with no corrections.
- Pass with corrections required, which I have to complete within six months. My supervisors can sign off on this; the examiners don’t need to review them.
- Revise and resubmit (also known as “major corrections”) within a year. This will involve another viva.
- Award of a lower degree. (In the case of my research programme it would be a Master of Philosophy.)
- I follow up with whatever is required.
I would say that #1 is highly unlikely and that #4 and #5 are not going to happen. I think #2 is more likely than #3, but I wouldn’t rule out either one and I don’t want to second-guess anyone or contaminate the process. So I won’t say anything else about this except the viva date when I have it, until I know the outcome.
More information is here: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/static/5007/graduateschool/submittingforexam.pdf
I’ll write a long post soon, about various things.